Garrard informs Jets that he’s leaving team

Updated: May 15, 2013, 5:31 PM ET

NEW YORK — David Garrard is leaving the New York Jets, just two months after joining the team.

“Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do,” said Garrard, in a text message to SiriusXM radio host Adam Schein on Wednesday.

The Jets signed Garrard back in March, as a potential alternative at quarterback to Mark Sanchez. The 35-year old hadn’t played in an NFL game the past two seasons because of back and knee injuries. But he was the starter with the Jacksonville Jaguars for several years before that, and passed a physical with the Jets this spring.

It was the first major signing by new Jets general manager John Idzik.

Two weeks ago, the Jets released quarterback Tim Tebow. That leaves four QBs on the roster: Sanchez, second-round draft pick Geno Smith, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms.

On a conference call with season-ticket holders earlier Wednesday, new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said the team’s starting quarterback job is an open position.

“This will be a bona fide quarterback competition. Period,” Mornhinweg said. “I’m hoping that somebody will rise to the top quicker rather than later.”

With the departure of Garrard, it appears there are now two primary candidates: the struggling incumbent, Sanchez, and the former West Virginia star, Smith.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

This article was originally posted on ESPN.com

About Neil Farris

I have been covering sports since 2002 when I began writing for my college newspaper. Since then I have covered football regionally and currently work in the NFL department at All Sports Talk.