Kentucky vs. #7 Louisville: The Cats slow down Louisville’s high octane offense and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater but lose the ballgame 27-13.
#13 South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt: Up 28-0, the Gamecocks hold on to win 35-25. USC quarterback Connor Shaw throws for near 300 yards and 3 touchdowns. Commodores WR Jordan Matthews has yet another game with over 100 receiving yards.
Tennessee @ #2 Oregon: Tennessee went up 7-0 with 9 minutes to play in the 1st quarter. It was all Oregon after that. The Ducks fly by the Vols 59-14 with an offense that looked more like a high speed train. Oregon piled up 687 yards in total offense.
#1 Alabama @ #6 Texas A&M: SEC Game of the Week! Finally, a high profile game that lived up to its billing. 1196 total yards, 62 total first downs (31 apiece), and 91 total points were tallied between the two schools. In a game that could have gone either way, Bama survived A&M 49-42 in a shootout. Johnny Manziel set a school record with 464 yards and 5 touchdowns but it was not enough. Bama’s safety Vinnie Sunseri’s 73 yard interception return for a touchdown turned out to be the difference maker in this hotly contested battle.
Arkansas vs. Southern Miss: Arkansas goes to 3-0 after defeating the Golden Eagles 24-3. The Hogs run wild on the ground with two running backs accumulating over 100 yards and a touchdown apiece.
Auburn vs. Mississippi St.: The Tigers earn a big SEC win by scoring the game winning touchdown with 10 seconds to play. Auburn Quarterback Nick Marshall makes the game winning toss to C.J. Uzomah to topple the Bulldogs 24-20.
#8 LSU vs. Kent St.: Tigers prevail 45-13. Quarterback Zach Mettenberger continues to impress.
#25 Ole Miss @ Texas: In a back and forth game, the Rebels get the last laugh winning 44-23 over the Longhorns. Jeff Scott does it again, this time scoring on a rushing touchdown and a special teams touchdown as he tallies a total of 243 all purpose yards. QB Bo Wallace puts in another solid performance.
SEC Power Poll (Week 3)
- Alabama (2-0, 1-0) – Can Bama be beat?
- Texas A&M (2-1, 0-1) – A gut wrenching loss but a valiant effort.
- LSU (3-0) – Week’s headlines about Les Miles allegations prove to be no team distraction.
- Georgia (1-1, 1-0) – Young defense enjoys bye week to sharpen play.
- South Carolina (2-1, 1-1) – Clowney makes a play!
- Ole Miss (3-0, 1-0) – Call him a playmaker, Jeff Scott that is.
- Florida (1-1) – Needed bye week to regroup mentally.
- Auburn (3-0, 1-0) – A win is a win. LSU is next.
- Vanderbilt (1-2, 0-2) – Late comeback isn’t enough.
- Arkansas (3-0) – Think Bielema likes the ground game?
- Missouri (2-0) – Bye week; up next is away game vs. Indiana
- Mississippi St. (1-2, 0-1) – Qb Dak Prescott shows promise.
- Tennessee (2-1) – Vols leave Eugene in a hurry.
- Kentucky (1-2) – Defense wins some battles but offense remains an enigma.
- All I want for Christmas is a College Football Coach - November 30, 2015
- Let’s Go Racing! - February 23, 2014
- ACC Basketball Mid-Season Report Cards - February 8, 2014